Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Murphy the $1000.00 and counting, ex-puppy mill dog

06/07/09 Murphy arrived at the sanctuary from the puppy mill. He was cleaned up and carefully examined for anything that may need a Vet visit or tending to. We cleaned his eye up the best we could and then let him eat and rest for the night.

06/08/09 Murphy was taken to the puppy dogtor today. His right eye has a bulge spot in the middle , this is indicative of a prolapsing cornea. And we do not want it to rupture so , we went in as an emergency. Eyes are always an emergency, per the Wizard.

06/11/09 Vet has managed to save Murphy's eye, there was a puncture wound in it. We found he has a fractured jaw and had NASTY teeth which have been pulled out. And he was neutered and tested for heartworms. $285.00


06/19/09 Back to vet to get the stitches out... $58.50


07/10/09 My husband called me to say he thought Murphy was dead. I went and picked him up and he was not dead , just very very weak. I rushed him in to the Vet , his tongue and gums were pale. He was FULL of hook worms and whip worms. Even after having been wormed by us. When the load is that bad it takes 2 or 3 rounds to get rid of them. And 2 weeks for the intestinal tract to heal from the hooks , hook worms hook into the intestines and suck blood. His hemogloben was low and is why his tongue and gums were pale and cold to the touch. $240.50


07/12/09 Murphy went to stay with one of my Volunteers to have some peace and quite and gain his strenght. She noted that his front leg was swollen and he was not using it. So she took him to the Vet. $75.00


08/07/09 Murphy once again to the Vet because his eye was just not staying lubed , no matter how much salve was slathered on. He could not shut his eye all the way because his eye was elongated with genetic glaucoma and once again had red tinged green gack in his eye. $75.00


08/09/09 Volunteer brings Murphy back , so we can have his eye removed. He is strong enough now to go ahead and do it, he can't see so we will relieve his pain perminantly.

08/10/09 We are being force to have Murphy's eye removed. Its grown oblong like he has bad glaucoma and he can't close it all the way so it dries out badly no matter how much medication I put in it. He can't see , so this will relieve him of the pain of very dry eyes. The surgery is scheduled for Thursday 08/12.

08/14/09 - Murphy is home from the Vet now $246.50 , he will go back in 2 weeks to get the stitches out... more $$$


09/01/09 - Murphy has had his stitches out and is doing great at fattening up.

Blind dogs

I cannot see you Mommy, when you cuddle me so near.
And yet I know you love me, it's in the words I hear.
I cannot see you Daddy, when you hold me by your side
But still I know you love me when you tell me so with pride.
I cannot see to run and play out in the sun so bright
For here inside my tiny head it's always dark as night.
I cannot see the treats you give when I am extra good
But I can wag my tail in Thanks just like a good dog should.
"She cannot see. The dogs no good" is what some folks might say
"She can't be trained, she'll never learn She must be put away."
But not you, Mom and Daddy You know that it's alright
Because I love you just as much as any dog with sight.
You took me in, you gave me love and we will never part
Because I'm blind with just my eyes, I see you in my heart. ---
Sherrill Wardrip (Blind Dogs List member)--


1 comment:

  1. I think he is the poster child for puppymill awareness day.

    ReplyDelete