Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nikki

My name is Nikki , I came from a horrid place called a puppymill. I was lucky that they did not want me anymore. I was taken to an Auction in Hiawatha Kansas on Oct 21st 2006 and sold to the highest bidder as item #546. Several nice rescue people went and got out as many dogs as they could so they would not go to another horrid place.

My new mom went to pick me up in Marysville Kansas late that night. She was horrified to find out that my jaw was hanging down and I could not close my mouth. I was very scared on the hour long ride home so I scratched furiously at the travel crate door. I wanted out.

She took me to see the Puppy Doctor. He said it was broken along time ago and they left me to suffer. Someone was very mean to me. They either kicked me in the face a few times or they did a do it yourself de-barking surgery on me and busted my jaw when they pried my mouth open.

I am going to have Surgery in a week or so , after I feel better. The Puppy Doctor said it would cost lots of money to fix me up. I don't have a job anymore. The job I had making puppies to sell at the pet stores, did not pay me anything but pain. I am a retired puppymill production line worker and there is no pension or retirement checks or health insurance.

SO my new found momma , put out a plea on the internet to pay for my big operation. She was shocked at the rapid response. A group of other Shih-Tzu owners gave me $500.00 to help pay for my surgery.

I have to eat up good for a week or two before I can go to the puppy hospital. They do not feed us to good at that place I came from , and its hard to eat when you can't close your mouth. I sure can eat the doggy food here though. Its soft and full of extra added vitamins and bone meal for my bones.

I still have very bad nightmares from the place I lived. I wake up screaming in the night. Momma comes for me and holds me until I fall back to sleep.

I had the first bath in my life, and boy was I scared. But momma said I stunk to high heaven and I was pretty dirty to. So there was no getting out of it. I was so scared I fought real hard to get out of the tub. Once I was all dried off , I felt to good that I took a nap on my mommas feet. That tells her I trust her and Love her.

Second bath in my life, I was so scared the first time, that this time momma took a bath with me. We both got in the tub and she soaked the rest of the nasty smells and dirt clods off me.

I am so happy see me dance

10/28/2006 - I went outside today, it was kind of scary and I wanted to go back in the house where its safe.

10/31/2006 - I made my appointment and November 13th is the big day. I go to the Hospital for my pre-op blood work and x-rays. Then in the morning the big operation, if my blood work is good enough. I have to stay ALL week in the hospital. Momma will pick me up on the Saturday the18th and stay home from work with me for 9 days in a row. I hope I can eat good for my first ever Turkey Day. I have a lot to give Thanks for on my first Thanksgiving Day.

11/02/2006 - I am a star

11/04/2006 - I played for the first time

11/08/2006 -- I went outside and cruised around the yard for the first time.

11/15/2006 - I had my big surgery and I am now held together with pins and wires. I am looking good and can eat real good for the first time in a long time. Mom looked at the X-rays and they were real bad. The front part of my jaw bone was snapped right off my face and separated from my face by almost an inch.

12/08/2006 - Mom saw a pin sticking out from my mouth so we went to the puppy Doctor. The left side of my jaw is healing up and pushing the pin out. But the right side is not healing, we thought this might happen as there was not enough there to stabilize it as well as the right side. But I am way better off than I was , I can EAT... I can pick up food and not just get what sticks to my tongue.

12/20/2006 - The pin is sticking way out now and should fall out any day. I am going to be going to the big Vet School in Manhattan Kansas to see if they can fix me up the rest the way. We sorta doubt it as my puppy doctor said that there was not much on that side to work with. But we have to try. She still has nightmares of her past, but they are farther apart and do not last as long.

No comments:

Post a Comment